Select Page

Military Relocation Agent

Trust you Local Brookfield Approved Real Estate Agent for your next Posting. Planning your House Hunting Trip will be less Stressful using our Professionally Trained Local Realtors.

Military Relocation – Frequently Asked Questions


When can I speak to someone from BGRS?

BGRS can offer our services once official authorization from your employer has been received. Answers to specific questions regarding benefits and entitlements are based on the information contained in that authorization. Until such time, we invite you to review the information contained in this website, particularly, the CFIRP Directive as well as the Welcome Booklet.

When do I pre-register?

On receipt of your posting message, proceed to and pre-register, keeping in mind it may take up to 5 days for your employer to download your file to BGRS.

What do I need in order to pre-register?

You will need a computer with an internet connection and a copy of your posting message to pre-register at The system will request that you fill in the information according to your posting message, entering your last name and service number (with no spaces) identical to the data on the posting message.

Is pre-registration the same as the registration?

Once your file has been authorized by your employer the system will match the information from your employer with your pre-registration and send your password and User ID via email. You will then be able to complete the registration process. If you have not received your password and/or User ID, please check your spam or junk mail folder. Please note that it may take up to five (5) business days to authorize your file after receipt of your posting message. If you are a release member please note that you are required to contact the release section in order to commence the process of establishing your final relocation prior to contacting BGRS.

What do I do when I get my User ID and password?

Once you‟ve received your User ID and password, complete the registration process by filling in the information required on your secure website, accessible at On successful registration, a confirmation email will be sent to you and will contain a list of required documents that need to be provided to BGRS prior to your 1st Planning Session.

How do I make contact with BGRS to book my 1st Planning Session?

On successful registration, a BGRS Advisor will be assigned and contact you within two (2) business days to discuss your relocation intentions and book your 1st Planning Session.

What are participating suppliers and do I have to use them?

Participating Third Party Service Providers (TPSP) are suppliers who provide specialized services in accordance with the CFIRP program. TPSP‟s are real estate appraisers, home inspectors, rental search agents, realtors and lawyers/notaries. The “Open Broker” policy of the IRP gives you the freedom to select any TPSP regardless if they are on the directory or not, however, all suppliers must be at „arm‟s length‟ from you. TPSP fee reimbursement is subject to capped ceiling rates.

What is an ‘Arm’s Length’ transaction?

An arm‟s length transaction is one that is consummated between two or more non-related parties as per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) interpretation. Related individuals include direct-line descendants as well as spouse or common law partners, brothers, sisters and in-laws. It also includes non-immediate family members such as cousins, aunts, uncles, nephew and nieces. Should a supplier be used that is not „arm‟s length‟, reimbursement of their services is not eligible.

Where do I find a list of participating suppliers?

The list of participating Third Party Service Providers (TPSP) can be found on the secure website. Once registered, you will have access to the directories. Simply choose your supplier type, the province and the city where the service is required. Please contact BGRS if you cannot locate a TPSP in your area. We can source out TPSP‟s as required.

How are my Third Party Service Providers (TPSP) going to get paid?

BGRS will pay any participating suppliers on your behalf. If you choose a non-participating supplier, you will be responsible to pay the supplier and seek reimbursement with BGRS. BGRS can advance the funds to you. Once an itemized paid receipt from the supplier is obtained, a claim can be processed up to the capped ceiling rate to offset the advance previously provided.

Do I need permission from BGRS to list my home?

We strongly recommend that you consult with BGRS first as well as review your employer‟s relocation policy prior to making any financial commitments. There are specific capped ceiling rates and eligibility requirements that apply to home sale benefits.

Can I go on a House Hunting Trip if I haven’t disposed of my current residence?

Members are responsible to coordinate a door-to-door move. Without a known dispossession date at origin, this may prove difficult. BGRS will normally recommend that your home be disposed of prior to taking an HHT; however, the authority to take an HHT rests with your employer, who will sign an HHT/DIT application, granting you approval for the trip. The HHT/DIT application can be obtained from your Advisor once he/she has provided comments and signed the form.

What if I can’t sell my residence?

There are relocation benefits in place to assist with the financial burden of dual residency. Your Advisor will discuss the temporary dual residence assistance benefits with you and review your options so you can decide which option is best for you and your family.

Once I dispose of my current residence what is my next step?

Notify your Advisor that you have disposed of your residence and inform if you require a House Hunting Trip and/or Destination Inspection Trip to find a replacement residence.

Can I drive to my destination on HHT or DIT, even though it would be faster if I flew?

There may be options available in your employer‟s relocation policy which allow flexibility with HHT or DIT mode of travel, please discuss with your Advisor.

What if I go on a House Hunting Trip and don’t find a place to live?

If your HHT is unsuccessful you should begin formulating a “Plan B‟, knowing that eventually your employer expects you to relocate. Discuss your options with your Advisor so you can determine the best course of action for you and your family.

What if my plan was to buy but I end up renting? Do I get penalized for that?

The goal is in securing a residence. Your employer and BGRS realize that intentions may change throughout the course of relocating. If you change your intentions, you are encouraged to refer to your employer‟s policy and discuss these changes with your Advisor to minimize any financial impact.

What if I choose a rental search agent but find my own rental unit?

If you‟ve requested the services of a rental search agent you are responsible to show-up for the scheduled appointment with the agent as cancellation fees will be your responsibility and are not reimbursable from any funding component.

What if I’ve secured a new residence but have not yet disposed of my old one?

There are relocation benefits in place to assist with the financial burden of dual residency. Your Advisor will discuss the temporary dual residence assistance benefits with you and review your options so you can decide which option is best for you and your family.

How can I get an advance and how long does it take?

Advance requests are submitted through your secure website. BGRS will process the request within 3- 5 business days. Please note your employer will not authorize the release of travel type advances more than 21 days prior to the first travel day.

What if I buy a new vehicle or dispose of a vehicle before I move?

If you acquire a vehicle before you actually relocate please provide BGRS with the new license plate number to update your profile and set aside funds for relocating it to destination. Similarly, if you dispose of a vehicle as your advisor will no longer need to set aside funds for relocating that vehicle.

How is my mileage for travel calculated?

The authorized mileage for travel is calculated based on the postal codes of the old and new place of duty, utilizing the Treasury Board approved ProMiles Software.

While travelling to my new location, can I stay with family members along the way instead of staying in a hotel?

Yes, and you may claim the non-commercial accommodation allowance when you stay with friends or family during your relocation. Do I have to stay in a different location each night of authorized travel days? CF members are authorized one calendar day: for trips of 500 km or less for each 500 km traveled when travel on the last day is in excess of 500 km but less than 600 km There is no requirement to stay in a different location each night; however, the maximum authorized travel days shall not be exceeded.

Can I take vacation during travel to my new work location?

While some people do take vacation during a relocation it would be best to refer to your employer‟s policy and discuss your intentions with your Advisor as your decision may impact the benefits if certain relocation criteria are not met.

What if I’m waiting for my home to be built? Where will my furniture and effects go?

Your furniture and effects will likely be placed in storage while you are waiting for your home to be built. The cost of the storage may not be covered through your employer‟s relocation program. Please notify your Advisor of your specific scenario to determine if storage costs are covered.

What if my furniture arrives before I do?

If your furniture arrives before you, it may go into short-term storage until you arrive, or it may stay on the moving truck, depending on what the moving company decides. You should discuss this potential with base traffic personnel. Please note that the intent is to have your furniture delivered on your arrival to ensure a door-to-door move.

How do I get reimbursed for my relocation expenses?

Please complete an on-line Itemized Expenditure Summary (expense report) for the expenses you wish to claim. Print and submit it with original receipts to your Advisor for processing. The Expense Claim will then be forwarded to you for signature and funds deposited into your bank account 3 – 5 business days after receipt of your signed claim form.

Can I submit more receipts even though I’ve done my final move claim?

You can submit another claim for your eligible relocation expenses within your employer‟s policy time limitation.

What if I get promoted during my relocation?

Should you be promoted prior to your Change of Strength (COS) date, it is important for you to provide BGRS with an updated pay guide, Posting Allowance Verification Form and a copy of your promotion message. In turn, we will update your posting allowance and increase the Personalized funds available for your relocation. Promotions effective after COS do not affect the posting allowance.

Is there someone outside of BGRS that I can talk to if I experience problems with my move?

The CF Relocation Coordinator is a military member responsible to act as a liaison between you, BGRS and Director Compensation Benefits Administration (DCBA). Please contact your CF Relocation Coordinator if you are experiencing problems that you feel need attention outside of BGRS.

When is my move completed?

If you have nothing further to claim, have used all eligible relocation benefits and received payment of any funds remaining in your personalized envelope your move would be considered complete and your file would be ready for reconciliation. If you‟re planning to purchase a home within your employer‟s policy time limitation, your move will be considered complete; however, your file would remain available for future benefit administration. Your Advisor will provide further assistance when you are ready to purchase.

I’ve uploaded documents but I cannot see them on my file.

Uploaded documents need to be reviewed and accepted by your Advisor in order to be viewed on the Secure Website. As documents are uploaded, your Advisor will be notified that documents are waiting for their action.

Military Relocation Agent