Military Real Estate Information
As part of Canada’s Largest Military Relocation Realtor Network we can offer Real Estate Services geared to overcoming the fundemental differences in Buying or Selling properties for both DND and RCMP personnel. With years of experience with confined time lines and the all important House Hunting Trip, we have been there and done that, countless times. We understand the uniques needs of the Military Relocation Family and our goal is to ensure you end up in a home that meets your families needs at a price you can afford.
What Our Relocation Agents are Prepared for
- Military families get a maximum of 7 Days/6 Nights for their House Hunting Trip. They’ll be on a compressed home shopping schedule. Understand the tight schedules of such a brief house hunting leave.
- Military families may not be able to stay in town for the final negotiations and closing of their home purchase.
- Military families may have special location needs, such as: secound empolment for spouse, dependents with special needs or education requirements.
- As military homebuyers will most likely be new to the area, they will have questions about the safety of neighborhoods and good school districts. As the Local Brookfield GRS Real Estate Expert you will have provided most of the neighborhood and school locations prior to leaving on HHT.
- Provide valuable contacts for Home Inspectors, Real Estate Lawyers, Mortgage Brokers and Insurance Companies.
House Hunting Trips
A successful HHT is a crucial part of a move: Its purpose is to secure accommodation at your new place of duty so you can make a door-to-door move.
Destination Inspection Trip (DIT) for either the CAF member OR spouse
Maximum total of 5 days/4nights
(rest day may be applicable)
• Local transportation
House Hunting Trip Check List
Note: During Covid19 there maybe Restricted Access when viewing homes. ( ie: no children & maximum number of adults ) Home Inspection may have to be done during showing.
1. Ask us for the name of a good quality hotel that is in a convenient location and that has the amenities that meet your needs. We also may be aware of times when local hotels will be booked for specific events.
2. Tentatively book a Home Inspector after you set your arrival date. Confirm there is no penalty to cancel or re-schedule the home inspection.
3. Bring your cheque book along. You may need to pay for a home inspection and put a deposit on your new home. Ask us about standard deposit amounts for the Quinte area.
4. Bring a video or still camera to take pictures of the home you purchase. Remember, we will need the owners’ permission first!
5. Bring slip-on shoes to get in and out of homes quicker.
6. If you are bringing younger children along, you may want to arrange for child care to facilitate evening showings and when reviewing and signing important real estate documents.
7. Being in contact with a local lender or broker prior to your arrival may expedite the purchase process, particularly when we are trying to remove any financing conditions from your Offer of Purchase and Sale. If you need contact information for the local Mortgage Specialists, we can provide you with their details.
8. You may require the services of other professionals while on your house hunting trip i.e., lawyer, home inspector, contractor, etc. We can provide you with a list of experienced specialists who are registered with Federal Government Relocation companies and they will be pleased to assist you.
9. Bring medical referral letters to arrange for new practitioners when you have spare time during your HHT. The sooner you get on wait lists, the better!
10. When we have an accepted offer, but are still waiting to remove our conditions i.e., home inspection, etc., you may wish to take advantage of the time to complete other tasks if you are from out of town. Make sure you bring along all required documentation to investigate schools, drop off resumes at potential employers, open bank accounts, complete change of address cards, research a babysitter, and set-up utilities/phone/cable.
11. To speed up the process, ask us for our ‘What to do Now’ checklist which has the phone numbers for local utility companies and businesses.
*** If the property is on a well and has a septic make sure to inspect those as well. these as well. In some regions of Canada this is a requirement for your mortgage. In short inspect the systems and test the water quality. These are also covered by IRP. You will have to pay for these inspections up front. Then simply submit your receipts to Brookfield for repayment.
DND Relocation Mortgage
The Exclusive DND Mortgage Package is available nation-wide to all DND employees. It is a very flexible mortgage that has many unique features potentially making this a preferred mortgage package. Below you will find a description of some of its features and the current discount offers.Though some of the specifics are designed to accommodate promotional transfers or relocations, for those of you that are permanently posted you will find this mortgage package to be worthy of comparison in the hunt for financing. You can still enjoy the discounted rates, the extra discount bonus offer, and the full mortgage strategy services available to all military families, and military employees, that make this a top rated package.
There are many options for Military Personnel who require a new mortgage at there new posting location. There are also Credit Unions, the Big Banks and Smaller Banks. Most of the Banks have branches right across Canada and you might be able to secure all your required financing at the branch you are currently dealing with. Some banks waive pre-payment charges for Military Personnel.
In 2022 we expect to see a slow but steady climb in mortage rates as we start to come out of the Pandemic.